“Some changes look negative on the surface but you will soon realize that space is being created in your life for something new to emerge.”― Eckhart Tolle

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Meet the Munchers

It has been just way too hot here and heat always brings out the nastiness - in Ella as well as in general. Anyway, with the heat usually comes the flies. I don't like flies. They are annoying - just like Ella. At any rate, it has just been way too hot. I don't like hot - just like I don't like Ella. I'm sure you get what I'm trying to say here.

Enter The Munchers. Who are The Munchers, you ask? Well, in this case, they are a pair of Barn Swallows who have decided to take up residence in our barn. So why am I calling them 'The Munchers'? That would be because they have a very healthy appetite for little insecty things that buzz about - like those vexatious flies. Way to go Munchers!!!

Now The Munchers are very good to have around a farm because they not only eat flies, but the ever-pesky mosquito. How great can one bird be? Why they even eat those unnerving too-many-leggedy-for my-taste spiders. Mun-chers! Mun-chers! Mun-chers!

I must admit, however, that I do not understand why they are called 'Barn Swallows'. I think my name for them is much more meaningful. I mean, how could a bird swallow a barn? Surely that isn't possible, and yet one might never imagine the amount of cookies a goat the size of Peanut could swallow either. Perhaps the phenomenon could be likened to the winners of those hot dog eating contests who are always way too skinny to be consuming that kind of a load. I'm just sayin' ...

At any rate, with any luck there will soon be a few more checking in. In the meantime, maybe we can get a little reciprocal action going. The Munchers can teach Boo to eat like a bird while Boo teaches them to eat like, well, a Boo. I think it's going to be a niiiiiice bug-free summer. Yes indeedy.

No comments: