“Some changes look negative on the surface but you will soon realize that space is being created in your life for something new to emerge.”― Eckhart Tolle

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Bird Is Not Just A Bird

Last weekend was the National Audubon Back Yard Bird Count. Being a goat, you might wonder just why I would have any interest in this. However, frankly I am perplexed at this attitude. If you have not come to realize, by now, that I am a true Bohemian, then perhaps you need to take a harder look. I relish the path less traveled. 'Conformity' is simply a lack of joie de vivre, in my estimation. And quite honestly, I see it as nothing more than a blight on the name, 'Goat'. Sheep conform. Goats do not. I am quite an enthusiastic, albeit budding, Audubonist. I am a goat of many talents. Or hadn't you noticed?

So why would a goat be interested in birds? Well, for one, when they sing it sounds waaaaay better than Boo. They also eat worms, and trust me on this, goats DO NOT like worms. They eat mosquitoes too - those nasty, blood-sucking little menaces. However, the best part is, with the exception of those raucous Jays, they DON'T like Peanuts! Now how much better can it get than that? We even shared our barn with a Winter Wren this winter, as well as a Barn Swallow last summer. Goats are quite altruistic by nature.

Which all serves as an adjunct to what I am about to tell you. My friend, Ari, the Caninaturalist, had a contest on her blog. She wanted to see who among her readers could observe and send in the most bird sightings over the weekend. What can I say? Humbly, I won! Who knew??? I have to say, I was as surprised as anyone in regard to my winning. After all, I regularly pay close attention to the comings and goings of my winged friends as a matter of course. I simply wanted to participate, and of course make sure the Caprine population was duly represented. At any rate, you can read about my recognition here, and you know, there is even a prize involved! I DO hope it is Peanuts. Do they grow Peanuts in Maine?

I believe it was William Blake who said, "When thou seest an eagle, thou seest a portion of genius; lift up thy head!" Well, it is obvious to me that William never spent much time 'seesting' any goats.

1 comment:

Kathryn and Ari said...

Sorry, Marigold: the only peanuts in Maine are on the supermarket shelf! But we have sent what we hope is a reasonable alternative as a way of saying thanks.

We can't begin to describe how impressed we are by your ornthiological expertise. You are a true goat of letters!