“Some changes look negative on the surface but you will soon realize that space is being created in your life for something new to emerge.”― Eckhart Tolle

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Wednesday Words of Wisdom

Today, my thought is to present you with a treatise on a well-known word in the English language. You may think you know this word very well.  After all, isn't it one of the more common words?  However, my friends, there are nuances of meaning here you may not be aware of.

So the word, Marigold.  For goats' sake, what is the word?

Oh, well, of course.  The word.  The word for Wednesday, my friends, is 'business'.  Yes, that's it.  Just plain old 'business'.  Now, I'm sure you think you already know everything there is to know about this word, but do you really?   First of all, at this time of year there is a lot of  'that's just none of your business' being bandied about.  This usage of the word probably denotes what one normally considers the true meaning.  'Business', that word that says 'this is my knowledge', 'my circumstance'.  It is for me to know and for you to find out.  But what about that part that means, 'this is what I do'?  Like, 'my business is selling Peanuts to good farmers everywhere'. (A highly respected business, too, if you ask me.)

Then there is the shortened version.  You know, 'busy'.  The Goatmother is 'busy' passing out Peanuts.  I'm 'busy' eating hay. The streets are 'busy' at this time of year.

But here is some knowledge you may not have previously been privy to,  for you see, in some places this word takes on unexpected nuances.  Like, say, in Texas, for example.  You have your everyday 'business', but you also have 'b'idness'.
"Mind  your own b'idness, and get out of my b'idness."
Suddenly the meaning has taken the less traversed path and morphed into something far more formidable - something far more personal in nature.  And believe me, wherever 'b'idness' resides, you better tread lightly because you sure wouldn't want to step on anyone's.

Then, of course, one is likely to also stumble upon 'b'idness's' natural counterpart, 'b'idzy'.
"Excuse me, could you ....?"
"B'idzy."
"Oh, sorry.  I didn't realize ... ."
"B'idzy."
"Oh.  Of course ..."
This does not imply that one is merely 'busy', but carries with it an air of total absorption.  One is absolutely NOT to be bothered.  Please go away.  Now.

So, there you have it.  I bet you never even suspected, did you?  So, then, I guess I'll be getting on about this Wednesday's usual b'idness of munching Peanuts.  If you need me, don't bother.  Believe me, it is wise not to.  B'idzy!

10 comments:

Claire MW said...

Well, a very businesslike approach to a post full of wisdom. My dog, Stickley (who is not often very wise) would like to point out that you entirely eschewed the OTHER meaning of business, which is, to wit, that which the dog goes outside in order to perform. He will think of you when he is next doing his "business" and wonder if you have run into this variant. ;-)

Millie said...

You've brought whole new levels of meaning to the word! You must be almost as wise as me. :-)

Marigold said...

Dear Claire,
No, I believe that this would fall under the category of 'b'idness', because really, you would NOT want to step on it, now would you? Also, you could put it under the category of 'b'idzy' while being performed, because, I, for one, don't want anyone around at that time. I want them to go away, NOW. See?

Marigold said...

Dear Millie,
This is correct. Please inform your human (just in case she does not already recognize this fact).

Mrs. Micawber said...

This sheds a new light on the terms "businessman" and "businesswoman". Not to mention "Better Business Bureau".

There is much to ponder here, oh wise Marigold.

Hidden Haven Homestead said...

Very wise! Hillary went from 78lbs to 95lbs. She was found on the side of the road and was skin and bones. She still needs to gain weight. LOL

Marigold said...

Dear Peggy,
Uh, oh. I misunderstood. Perhaps we should send the Goatmother to you for REVERSE therapy. :)

Snowcatcher said...

So, do I have a dirty mind because my first thought was along the same lines as Claire? Or does this mean great minds think alike, even when what the great minds are thinking is not something you want to stick your feet in???

I have indeed photographed a few of your distant relatives, and thankfully, they posed beautifully and were not grouchy with me at all!

Marigold said...

Dear Snowcatcher,
Awesome photos! (Why am I not surprised? :)) I am quite glad your Mountain goats are not crabby. We actually had one gore a man who died, and a couple of other instances of attempted gorings that, thankfully, did not end in tragedy. I think it probably has something to do with a lack of Peanuts in their diet.

denise f said...

My goodness, I'd never thought of so many meaning for such a BUSY word!