“Some changes look negative on the surface but you will soon realize that space is being created in your life for something new to emerge.”― Eckhart Tolle

Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Zen of Beards

There. Can you see it? I'm growing a beard! Yes! I believe I have perhaps seven hairs there. This is awesome! You are probably wondering what all the excitement is about. I mean goats have beards, don't they? But let me tell you, not every goat is privileged to have hair on their chin. No siree! I'm so excited! I'm special! Boo doesn't have a beard and neither does Ella. Well, the goatfather does, but that doesn't count. Still, the biggest reason for my excitement is that now I am truly able to become 'one' with my philosophical idols. Revolutionary thinkers like Socrates, Parmenides...Ginsberg. And just look at Confucius! They all had, (sigh) ... beards.

The story goes that Buddha, one day, picked up a flower and raised it to eye level. He then returned to his seat without speaking. I guess his disciples were a bit perplexed (I can understand this) but one, Mahkasyapa, (I don't know what this means, but I think it may be mountain beaverese), simply smiled at Buddha, who simply smiled back. According to legend, this was the moment Zen was born. (Well, there is probably a little more to it than that, but I'm a goat. What do I know?)

So why am I telling you about Zen? Because beards are Zen. All one has to do is look at a beard and one instantly knows. And if you are blessed enough to actually have a beard, well, that just goes into that whole realm of 'smiling and simply smiling back'. Beards are. Beards emanate. Beards ROCK!

So now that you know the innate value of beards, allow me to leave you with this quote and you will 'simply' understand my ebullience. "Follow your inner moonlight, don't hide the madness." - Allen Ginsberg. (simple smile...)


1 comment:

The Sweet Pea said...

Dear Marigold....
we must do something with those whiskers if we are
going to call it a beard!
I just butted heads with GoaTee who was snickering at
your chinny chin chin.
I'm proposing that you eat
a little MSM with your grain
or maybe soak those seven fine strands in " miracle grow "!!
Well, my little philosophical sprout, I do understand your excitement over your newly found beard! Keep up the reading,
Oh, Zen one!!!