“Some changes look negative on the surface but you will soon realize that space is being created in your life for something new to emerge.”― Eckhart Tolle

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Always Trust A Wooly Booger

So you see, of late we have seen many, many of these little guys crawling about the barn and environs. I know, people refer to them as Woolly Bears, but I call them Woolly Boogers. I'm a goat. What do I know? In truth, they are the larvae of the Spotted Tussock Moth. More night fliers. Just what we need around here.

Still, the Woolly Boogers are quite useful. People have their long-range forecasting models and their Doppler radars, learned meteorologists, and all sorts of 'equipment' to forecast the weather. With all that equipment, one would think they'd have the weather pegged, wouldn't one? But, no, most of the time they say it will do one thing and it actually does quite another.

Goats, on the other hand, have a much more sophisticated and reliable means of predicting the weather. At least in the case of the winter weather. You see, the way it works is that in the Fall if one notices many Wooly Boogers crawling about , resting on latches, falling in the water tub, crawling up the side of the barn, or residing on that dried leaf you had your eye on from way across the pasture, it means we are going to have an 'exciting' winter.

Now exciting can mean a lot of different things, but in general it means we are in for a wild ride. Maybe a lot of wind and rain, maybe a lot of snow, maybe a lot of cold. Take last year, for example. We were treated to great 'herds' of these Woolly Boogers, and sure enough, we had one of the wildest Novembers on record. That one month contained everything from huge winds, to record rainfall, flooding, snow and even thunderstorms.

I will say that I don't believe I've noticed quite as many this year as last year. That has to be a good thing, but I'm sure we're in for at least some snow. As a matter of fact, we had our first significant snow in the mountains in the middle of September! That is WAY ahead of the normal schedule. I suppose that means the goatmother is going to be bandying about on that sled again. Oy.

So, you can have your La Nina's and whatever else those weather guys come up with, but we goats know that you always but ALWAYS trust the Woolly Booger. It's just that simple.

1 comment:

The Sweet Pea said...

Holy Wooly Boogers, Marigold!
The Dirty Sisters found a wooly booger along the inside wall of our barn the other day. Boogie, the more tolerable of the two sisters, kept staring at it as though it were some space alien. I was about to smack her but de donna came round the corner just as I was thinking about doing this. Needless to say, I decided to hold off because for some reason de donna just loves Boogie! I knew I'd get myself in big trouble. Anyway, Boogie showed the alien-like Wooly Booger to de donna who gently removed the critter to a different location. I heard de donna tell Boogie that if she removed it, well...... it wouldn't snow in the barn! So, Marigold, all you have to do is ask the goatmother to relocate any of these critters and the weather will be just fine!