“Some changes look negative on the surface but you will soon realize that space is being created in your life for something new to emerge.”― Eckhart Tolle

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Stuff and Such

Well, for goatness' sake. It has been quite awhile since I've been able to get near the computer. Let's just say there are far too many succulent bits of greenery out there right now, and leave it at that. After all, only the foolish would pass on such an opportunity. Still, sometimes the muse wins.

As you well know, the weather here, of late, has left a LOT to be desired. Of course , if you like gray, rain, cold...rain....cold.....rain......did I say cold?........then you might not find it such a challenge. But honestly, we've only made it above 60 in the last few days, leaving me to seriously consider two things. 1) Why in the world did I shed my winter coat?, and 2) Do they actually make igloos for goats? Nevertheless, at least we haven't had any floods or tornadoes, so maybe it hasn't been all that bad. I don't know about you, but I simply do not find the image of floating and/or flying goats all that appealing.

Despite the gloom and doom, or perhaps instead because of it, one resident faction has thrived. This would, in fact, be the dandelions. You know, those banal, cut-leaved rosettes sporting the jaunty yellow flowers that soon turn to fuzzy puffs? Why, oh, why couldn't it be Peanuts growing happily, spreading more happy little Peanuts to the winds to be found and cherished by some lucky goat? Oh, well...if wishes were Peanuts...

So, for your edification (and to make my point, of course), I offer you the picture below. This is a Pacific Northwest form of the common dandelion shown in it's native habitat and growing in an optimal El NiƱo year.
"Oh, that's just a plain old dandelion, Marigold. We have tons of those", you say. "That's nothing to write home about, you stupid goat!"

Ah, yes, but that is until you realize that is a full-sized tennis ball sitting in the middle of that monster! And, just so you don't think this is merely an isolated incident, here is yet another one.


Yes, indeed! This is some major herbage! As a matter of fact, I have recently noticed Watson has taken one for a pet and begun calling it Seymour. He talks to it. Oy. Well, I suppose that's okay. It keeps him off the streets and out of the Peanuts. Besides, you know what Ralph Waldo Emerson said. "What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered" Keep looking, Watson.

I just hope he doesn't decide to start a dandelion farm. Oy.
Oh, Shhhhhh!!! Shut the hay up, will you, Marigold?!
Oy.

3 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oooh! Bring those dandies over here. My goats and chickens and horse would gobble them right up!

Danni said...

Goodness....when I first saw that picture, I thought that was a golf ball! You've got some big WEEDS growing up there.
I've heard they can have kind of a nutty flavor, though, Marigold, so you might consider giving them just a nibble... :-)

goatgirl said...

I think you need a pig of the pot bellied variety. They love dandelions.
I've missed you Marigold. I thought the goatmother surely fell again in the barn and everyone trampled over her to get to the hay. Glad to see she was only weeding.